Today, I saw pigs fly and you know what freeze over. Or maybe it was just New Orleans (the Northshore specifically) that froze over. Let me start from the beginning...
From what I gather, the average highs this time of year are in the 60s. Monday was in the high 60s and the kids and I went to the park in short sleeves. Tuesday was about 75 degrees... beautiful! Yesterday was in the 50s and it rained all afternoon and into the night. At some point during the night, we lost power and we think it came back on around 6am (I think this was just from the rain storms). Around 6:30am, Dave woke me up and told me it was snowing and that it was, get this, sticking to the ground! You could have knocked me over with a wet noodle. Snowing? Where am I? Didn't we move? Why did we sell the snowblower?!
So I got up and looked out the window and this is what I saw:

Ok, no big deal, just a few flurries. Dave left for work and called a short time later to let me know that the Causeway (the bridge he takes to work) was open and so were the St. Tammany Schools (Joey's preschool follows the same schedule... usually). So I went about my morning getting the kids ready, Joey for school and Abi for her 1 year doctor appointment. We left the house about 8:45 and it was snowing considerably harder. The snow was even sticking to the road, which surprised and worried me. Since it hasn't snowed like this in 4 years and they haven't had accumulation like this since 1989 (I learned this later in the day), New Orleans is not prepared for snow... no plows or salt/sand like Michigan has. So although we would probably shrug off this snowfall up in MI, it was a bit nerve racking here. And as I observed on the roads, people here don't know how to drive in the snow and there were a lot of accidents. So I cautiously drove Joey to school, only to learn when we arrived that they didn't follow the St. Tammany schedule today and they canceled school. Upon learning this, Joey cried (LOUDLY!). Abi had her doctor appointment at 10, so rather than drive home in the ever increasing snow, we went to the doctor a little early. While there, we saw people bundled in all different manners, since we're among the few that actually own winter gear.
On another note, Abi is growing nicely and overall, she's a healthy kid. But she's in the beginning stages of RSV, a respiratory virus (we think she caught it from the little girl next door) and we have to treat her with breathing treatments for the next week and no playdates. Boring!
When we got home from the doctor and drugstore (for Abi's prescription) around noon, this is what we saw:


The neighborhood kids were outside playing (although any Northerner would know that this was a yucky, wet snow, not worth playing in!). It's now raining and at 4:30pm, much of the snow has melted. I have yet to figure out how Mother Nature tracked us Smiths down here in NOLA, but she got us for a day. The weekend forecast is in the high 60s and 70s... oh darn :)
you were getting tired of summer if i recall.
ReplyDelete-christie