Life is never boring with the Smith family.
Chronicling the adventures of our family, from the everyday to the exciting... enjoy!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

No More Diapers!

After nearly 5 years of diapering children, we are officially out of diapers in the Smith household. That's right, Abigail is potty trained!! Woo hoo!

I attempted to potty train her a couple of months ago, but it ended in frustration on both sides, so we put things on hold. They do say that when they're ready, they're ready. And not before! The last week in April, we gave it another shot. We were down to 4 diapers and I thought, why not commit to potty training now and not go back?!

So instead of buying diapers, I bought pull-ups and cotton training pants and gathered up all of Abi's stickers and posted a sticker chart on the back of the bathroom door. We started with cotton pants at home and pull-ups for outings and bedtime and I think our combo worked great. Accidents aren't always a bad thing and Abi quickly learned that she didn't want to be wet or messy.

The first few days Abi got gobs of stickers just for sitting and/or staying dry. Her potty chair got dragged all over the house and we spent more time in the bathroom than not. After a few days, she was definitely having success and by the end of 2 weeks, she's doing great! We're running out of stickers!

We also got really excited when Abi had success, jumping up and down cheering and let her watch "The Potty Dance" video on the Huggies website. I think this helped even more than the stickers and she now tells me while pointing at the toilet, "See, I went potty!" Even though I'm considering her pretty much potty trained, Abi and Joey still like watching "The Potty Dance" video. Here they are today dancing along (sorry, my voice is a little loud right next to the camera!)...


No comments:

Post a Comment